Don’t Let Mobile App Traffic Eat Up Your Budget!
Mobile app traffic can very quickly eat up a display campaign’s budget, and many agencies prefer to exclude ads from showing on all apps due to poor performance. Like many things in life, there is an easy way and a hard way to achieve this. Excluding every mobile app placement as they pop up is definitely the hard way – it’s like playing “whack-a-mole”.
We are here to show you the easy way. Actually, there are two easy ways, depending on your preference between making changes in the Google Ads interface vs Google Ads Editor.
Google Ads Interface
Google Ads Editor
How To Do It In The Google Ads Interface
- Go to Placements>Exclusions, select the campaign (or even the whole account in certain circumstances) then select Enter Multiple Placements.
- That will open a window that allows you to enter placements directly:
- You need to enter mobileappcategory::69500 in that row, click Add 1 Placement and then Save. You should end up seeing something like this in your exclusions list:
And that’s it! No more traffic to mobile apps.
How To Do It In The Google Ads Editor
- On the left hand menu under Keywords and Targeting, select Mobile App Categories, Negative, then click the button to Add Negative Mobile App Category.
- Select Campaign level, then just click OK without selecting any specific apps:
- You should now see that “All Apps” have been excluded from your campaign.
All that is left to do now is to upload those changes and you are finished! The great thing about Google Ads Editor is that you can then copy/paste that exclusion from one campaign to another, and even across different clients much faster than manually adding the exclusion each time in the Google Ads interface.
and of course…
PPC Samurai will automatically remind you to look at your exclusions if we see any mobile app categories triggering in your display campaigns, so if you ever see that warning in your insights page, you now know exactly how to exclude them!
Let us know if you have any question, the best way is via firstname.lastname@example.org